From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:14:59 -0500
Daniela,

The best practice will be for you to align three things: your corporate
policy, the realities of the way your projects are conducted, and the
realities of long-term preservation/access of electronic records. The
operations people, management, RM, and IT at least will need to be
included in this discussion.

How long do the drawings need to be retained? Do you have the
wherewithal to maintain/access them electronically for that period? What
"wherewithal" will you need to be able to maintain/access them for that
period? You will need to set all of that out for all to see -- file
formats, storage media, hardware/software. You have to set out a
strategy for the long term preservation/access of electronic records,
and then provide for that strategy. It can be done, but not without that
work up front.

During that long discussion you may determine that you have to keep the
drawings longer than you can guarantee you'll have ability to
maintain/access them electronically. So then you may end up printing
them out. And that is not a bad thing, no matter what some people may
say (Hi Steve!). It could save you money/trouble in the long run,
especially if they are permanent records.

Good luck,
Gary Link, CRM
Astorino
Pittsburgh, PA  15222