From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:18:19 -0800
I would argue that this is not an ethical issue. As with any other
> records keeping tool, the ability to store in an NFPA 232 facility is
> going to be impacted by the types of records being stored, cost, and
> availability. A risk/cost analysis may show that such storage is
> perfectly acceptable, or not. Similar arguments could be made for
> virtually any records keeping tool (or lack thereof) applied in a given
> environment.
>
> Willful destruction of records under a legal hold - that's an ethical
> issue. This is more of a question of priorities, resources, and
> timeframes. That's not to say its unimportant, and in some circumstances
> ethics may play a role in the choices made, but not in all instances.

Okay, is it or isn't it?  When it comes to "Professional Ethics"  I think
this is what Hugh was referring to, a code of conduct or a set of
responsibilities that frames our choices and actions and our obligation to
inform our employers of risks.

http://www.arma.org/about/overview/ethics.cfm

So yeah, you can call it a "stretch', but if you are aware that the service
provider who submitted a bid for the storage of your organization's
information assets has engaged in inappropriate practices and fails to
comply with the NFPA 13 fire code, which is part of ALL LOCAL BUILDING CODES
in the US, and sets the requirements for protection of commodities based on
their type and relative risk to exposure.  AND you also know there is a
companion NFPA Standard that is designed to identify the minimum guidelines
for protection of a given asset or commodity, don't you feel it would be
your obligation to inform your employer of this?

Naturally, as you correctly point out, a cost benefit analysis will be made
with respect to the relative risks, and a business decision will be made to
determine who to select to provide the service, but as a Professional
Records and Information Manager, you should make them aware of these
risks.   We've all seen the stories of the fires in Chicago,  New Jersey,
Pennsylvania, London, France, Ottawa, among others where EVERYTHING in a
commercial record storage warehouse was either damaged or destroyed as a
result of a fire, and it's always been in facilities that were NOT in
compliance with NFPA 232.  Naturally, the ones outside of the US don't have
to be, but they have similar guidance that wasn't followed either.

As a RIM Professional, I feel it is my obligation to make my employer (or
client) aware of the existence of guidelines that will assist them in
requesting a service provider to provide adequate protection to the assets I
am charged with the responsibility of protecting.  And at minimum, I will
document the fact that I have given them access not only to the guidance,
but to examples of what happens when someone fails to follow the guidance.
Beyond that, I can only hope they choose to make the proper decision, but at
least I've lived up to what I feel is MY Professional obligation.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA