From:
"Werner, Teresa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:17:07 -0700
Hi,

I would love to see this also.. but I have yet to find anything 'useful'
for 'costs', as it is such a variable depending on type/size/etc of the
organization.

Questions to ponder:
How much do your employees earn/hours wasted time looking for something
that is missing/lost?

What type of business/non-profit/gov't organization and what is your
risk for law suits?  And again, time/money it will cost for employees to
find records requested in a legal discovery.

How much are your records 'worth' if they were lost/destroyed in a
disaster?  Would your business continue to thrive without them?  Would
your government agency be held accountable to tax payers who trust you
with their records and information?

Do you have any 'legal' requirements to 'manage' records?  Is it being
done?

You could even go into the 'moral/emotional' side of your organization
and measure the employee's frustration level when records are not
managed properly and their jobs are harder because of lack of
efficiency/information.

If you're trying to 'convince' your management team you need RM...
sometimes just asking these questions and presenting hypothetical
'what-ifs' can do the trick...  Its also helpful to use 'what ifs' that
have actually happened to other organizations that are similar to yours
(and be able to name them)...    For example.. if you're a government
agency... find examples related to Katrina and the loss of county birth
records and how it affected so many people who depended on them being
there... since they lost their copy and they now need them to prove who
they are to get aide...  or if you're a private business that could be
sued.. find other businesses that have been severely hurt or gone under
due to a single law suit involving improper RM...

Hope that helps.

Teresa Werner,
RIM Consultant
775-338-1342