From:
"Brent D. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:14:02 -0700
Many records have a routinely short ACT period and the current year + X
may work fine for those.  For records that have an ACT period that is
highly variable there is always some event that triggers or defines the
time that it becomes inactive, thus starting the static retention
requirement period.   There is also, generally some procedure that
requires that that time be recorded.  The problem, as I see it, is to do
the records managment task of documenting that event and the procedure
where it is recorded, then creating a procedure that brings that
information into your records system.

The problem is the same as many other issues with attaining a first class
records system.  That is, that managment may not fully understand or
acknowledge the importance of extending the recording of the "event" to
the records system.   When they do, it is not necessarily a complicated
process to add the additional procedures.   For those of us who dwell on
these issues it seems obvious, however, for many, the issues are not on
their radar.

In our case, the majority of these events are exported, periodically, from
the systems where the event is recorded, and imported into our records
system.   For some records, the link has not been established, usually
resulting in records being retained far beyond their useful and reasonable
retention.   The excessive retention may be an acknowledged problem, but
the solution is bypassed as cost  prohibitive as long as storage is
considered the main or only cost of a more consistent and timely
disposition process.

Like so many other issues, the problems are the same whether the records
are paper or electronic.

Brent D. Smith
Corporate Records System Administrator
Office Services
Guardian Life Insurance Co.
777 E. Magnesium Rd.
Spokane WA 99208
509-468-6225

We have a centralized records repository to manage and retain electronic
records. These records are ingested from a variety of sources and
categorized into the appropriate file plan structure. Some of these
records have a retention period that is "ACT+" (e.g. ACT+6).  In order for
us to start the retention clock, we need to tell the records repository
that the record has completed its active life and hence start the clock.

The issue is that the business processes are not connected to the records
repository and so the user has to manually check a "flag" in order to tell
the records repository that a record is no longer active and so start the
clock.  Given that we have hundreds of thousands of records, it will
become somewhat cumbersome for the user to manually check a flag on a
periodic basis.

My question to the group is how are other companies handling these
situations ?

Thanks
Ganesh Vednere
Consulting Manager (Records Management),
Capgemini, New York

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.