From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:24:18 -0600
> Jesse > 2. Also not sure I'd recommend full color; for almost all documents scanning> in grayscale would result in a significantly smaller file size while still> preserving the document in a very high quality.

That's cuse ya ani't an Archivist. Capture all the image and keep it for ever.
> 3. Not sure that 600 dpi is required; note that NARA's 87-page guidelines do> call for 400-600 dpi as recommendations but support 300 dpi as alternate> minimums (p. 51).

Yea 600 dpi was a concession. It was set at 1200 dpi for quite a while. Go out and buy that scanner, not to mention keeping and sending those files sizes.
> 4. Today I'd probably still recommend TIFF over PDF for most usages; once> ISO 32000 is formally approved and the various vendors support output as ISO> 32000-compliant PDFs, I will recommend PDF over TIFF for the following> reasons:> - Almost ubiquitous support for PDFs in the browser, making access easier> - Support for a text layer so the PDFs are full-text searchable> - Support for embedding metadata directly in the file using XMP

I have always used TIFF. only time I used PDF was as a compromise with an insistant person or as a compliance issue.

Chris Flynn> Regards, >