From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:32:43 -0400
Jesse, once again, you're "thinking small".

1. What happens when computing as we know it today is replaced by
quantum computing, and everything changes, including Unicode and XML? At
that point, you'll need to migrate in a really drastic way, assuming of
course, you can afford to. I suspect that many organisations will NOT be
able to afford the migration costs.

2. What happens when a worldwide pandemic (like the 1918-1919 flu
pandemic, but worse) reduces the economic ability to migrate, and/or
kills off a substantial portion of the population that is sufficiently
computer-literate to manage and carry out a migration? Real-world
example: the Black Death in Western Europe, CE 1350-1450.

3. What happens when the next "single Superpower of the world" is a
theocracy that believes our civilisation is the work of heathens and
must be destroyed? Real-world example: the destruction of the
civilisation of the ancient world by Christianity, CE 200-1300.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 212.788.8615