From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:41:21 -0400
Mark, there's a company in France called SEAL Systems (URL which offers PDF to PDF/A conversion services. I have a paper by Sébastien Legru ([log in to unmask]) and Saïd El Morabiti ([log in to unmask]) of SEAL which may be helpful; it's mostly in French, but you can email the authors, who most probably can read and write English.

At the "Archiving 2007" conference, Frank L. Walker, George R. Thoma, and Marie E. Gallagher of the National Library of Medicine (USA), presented a paper titled " PDF File Migration to PDF/A: Technical Considerations", in which the error rates for this conversion were shown to be very high, particularly when converting to the more rigorous version of PDF/A (the paper can be obtained at http://www.imaging.org/store/epub.cfm?abstrid=34408).

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Email: [log in to unmask]