From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:49:40 -0400
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Kevin Tisdel <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> This is my first post on the listserv, so please pardon any breach of
> etiquette.

Welcome aboard!

> Questions:
>
> Do you specifically address text messaging in your records retention or
> electronic communication policy?

you may want to go to the ARMA Bookstore and purchase a copy of the
ANSI/ARMA Standard "Requirements for Managing Electronic Messages as
Records"
"This American national standard defines requirements for developing a
corporate policy for managing information content in any type of text-based
electronic message or communication such as e-mail or instant messaging. It
also includes recommended provisions for an electronic message records
management policy useful throughout the life cycle from message creation to
final destruction or disposition."
http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1501

notice that the title is about "electronic messages" the TF that developed
the standard purposefully used the term "electronic messages" to cover all
existing types of messaging and whatever may come down to the pike. This is
similar to SEC 17-4 which states only that "all communications" must be
retained. The regulation doesn't define what communication is because who
knows what type of communication system will hit the market place this year,
next or ten years down the road.

If so, do you require the data to be held or collected for retention
> purposes?

first of all banish the term 'data' from your vocabulary.  Always refer to
it as records, saves confusion later on.

> Do you find the above stated policy to be adequate?

It seems reasonable and unequivocal. The next step is to establish
procedures. Policies should in my opinion be broad in nature. The details
are covered by the procedures.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va