From:
"Stakhov, Gene" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:52:39 -0400
Ganesh,

That convergence of enterprise content management (not just web content
but all unstructured data in its various forms) and records management
is what makes this field so exciting for me.

I think often-times you'll find that the desire to capture a record such
as a web transaction in its native, outward-presented format is tempered
by the technical difficulty in implementing such a mechanism.

Since we're looking at this from the perspective of the vendor
(server-side), a suitable alternative might be implementing a solid
server-side audit trail such that when examined, can serve as
documentation of the steps that led to the creation of the record.  This
can be done by capturing the data inflows and outflows at each step.
Using that data would then allow one to reconstruct what the web
transaction would have looked like to the user.  This is important
because, as we all know, the semantics of the written word can be
interpreted in different ways, depending on its presentation.

Having said that, I'll be the first to agree that there may be many
mechanisms that essentially achieve the same purpose.  My company has
actually written a faux printer driver to allow a customer to capture
the actual on-screen printed content of a web transaction as a PDF for
web-based records.  This worked for them because their users were acting
as the web content "consumer", so they were free to control the capture
process.

Hope that helps.

PS - I'm new to this list.  This is my first post; hope I didn't break
any rules.

Eugene Stakhov
Lighthouse Computer Services, Inc.
Tel: (401) 334-0799 x.182
Fax: (401) 633-6306
Cell: (917) 225-8934

This electronic message contains a communication from Lighthouse Computer Services, Inc., it is strictly confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee.  Any non-addressee is prohibited from reading, disseminating, distributing, or copying the communication contained herein.  If you are in possession of the communication in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender via electronic mail excluding the original communication.  Thank you.

service.