From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:55:47 -0400
RAIN 20080414

Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to
records and archives management.

Historical documents show Tibets a inseperable part of China
ÑëÊÓ - Beijing,China
Fifteen historic documents kept in China's State Archives Administration
show Tibet has been under the central government's rule since the Yuan
Dynasty more ...
<http://www.cctv.com/english/20080412/101332.shtml>

Computerworld
Agency under fire for decision not to save federal Web content National
Archives and Records Administration halts its archiving of agency sites
every two years

<
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9077158&intsrc=hm_list

Worker Charged in Hospital File Thefts
New York Times - United States
He printed some of the records and sold roughly 1000 files to the man, who
was not identified in court documents, for $750, the complaint said. ...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/nyregion/13arraign.html?ref=nyregion>

2 former Korn/Ferry workers indicted
San Francisco Chronicle - CA, USA
... receive, possess and transmit trade secrets, gaining unauthorized
access to a protected computer, theft of trade secrets, mail fraud and
conspiracy to ...
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/12/BUNE103TVN.DTL>

Fine demonstrates need for open records
The Olympian - Olympia,WA,USA
A whistle-blower tip has led to a $1.25 million fine against Puget Sound
Energy for fraudulent natural gas pipeline inspection records. ...
<http://www.theolympian.com/opinion/story/417499.html>

Wor Kidd's dark secret
Sunday Sun - Newcastle upon Tyne,England,UK
Chief archivist Liz Rees explains: "We weren't aware of the scandal. We knew
his name and we knew that the shipyard had closed but we didn't know the
story ...
<
http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2008/04/13/wor-kidd-s-dark-secret-79310-20756253/

Records get support
Muskogee Daily Phoenix - Muskogee,OK,USA
HB 1453 creates the Preservation and Accessibility of County Records Act.
This is an important bill for counties because it will help preserve our
state's ...
<http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/opinion/local_story_103131143.html>

Making Leap To Electronic Files Helps Keep Research Organized
Tampa Tribune - Tampa,FL,USA
I also can scan copies of documents, such as death certificates, deeds or
wills, directly into computer files. I have a main computer file labeled
"My ...
<
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr/13/tr-making-leap-to-electronic-files-helps-keep-rese/

Flash Drives Threaten Security
PC World - USA
This gives end-users a single device for secure data storage and two-factor
authentication, an alternative to carrying both a flash drive and a
separate ...
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144495-c,dataprotection/article.html>

Court blocks broad subpoena of patient records
American Medical News (subscription) - USA
In addition, Phillips said, "[the records request] was going to be very
onerous for our physicians" in terms of time and cost. Gregory D. Frost, a
HIPAA ...
<http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/04/21/gvsc0421.htm>

Is the National Archives Preserving or Distorting the Heritage of ...
History News Network - Seattle,WA,USA
I wrote Allen Weinstein, Archivist of the United States, on December 3,
2007, to bring this problem to his attention. I pointed out that placing on
the ...<http://hnn.us/articles/49320.html>

Library sets up Purdue's history for online access
Journal and Courier - Lafayette,IN,USA
... that date back to the 1800s," said Sammie Morris, head of Archives and
Special Collections and assistant professor of library
science/archivist....<
http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080413/NEWS0501/804130351

Goldstone set to restore national archives
Business Standard - Mumbai,Maharashtra,India
... various opportunities to revive national archives, and is currently
negotiating with a few government agencies at the national level in this
regard. ...
<
http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?leftnm=lmnu9&subLeft=2&autono=319947&tab=r

Strengthening the automation of cultural heritage archives
UNESCO (Communiqu¨¦s de presse) - Paris,France
This tool is expected to be of great use for the automation processes of
documentation centres, libraries and archives in the three cities and to
become a ...
<
http://portal.unesco.org/ci/fr/ev.php-URL_ID=26415&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

National Archives under fire for not archiving federal data
TECH.BLORGE.com <http://tech.blorge.com/> - Sydney,Australia
By Leslie Poston The National Archives and Records Administration is coming
under intense fire for not backing up federal data online. ...
<
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2008/04/13/national-archives-under-fire-for-not-archiving-federal-data/

Legal breakdown of request for NIU shooter's gun card
Chicago Daily Herald - Chicago,IL,USA
By Amber Krosel | Daily Herald Staff SPRINGFIELD -- The Freedom of
Information Act guarantees that anyone, not just reporters, can obtain
copies of public ...
<http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=172258&src=109>

University illegally released student information
SIU - Daily Egyptian - Carbondale,IL,USA
... Illinois University Management Act. University spokesman Rod Sievers
said the bank filed a Freedom of Information Act request for the
information. ...
<
http://www.siude.com/news/2008/04/14/Campus/University.Illegally.Released.Student.Information-3321280.shtml

Open records law is too broad
Bismarck Tribune - ND, USA
By CHARLES KUPCHELLA Much has been made of North Dakota's open meetings and
open records laws in conjunction with the University of North Dakota ...
<
http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2008/04/14/news/opinion/letters/153223.txt

A lawyer inside your PC - British software can flag corporate ...
ZDNet - USA
AIG will also make sure that policies on document retention are followed.
Documents are flagged for deletion because they no longer need to be kept
and they ...<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Foremski/?p=262>

How to spot -- and stop -- a spy
Computerworld - Framingham,MA,USA
April 14, 2008 (Computerworld) Corporations are woefully unprepared to
counter attempts at corporate espionage, say experts who perform
vulnerability ...
<
http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=cybercrime_and_hacking&articleId=315588&taxonomyId=82&intsrc=kc_feat

State historical records made available online
NTV - Kearney,NE,USA
The state Library Commission and other agencies including the University of
Nebraska have joined to create the Nebraska Public Documents Web site at
...<http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/story.asp?S=8162298>

Bookkeeper tries to get hospital's medical records to patients
WTHI - Terre Haute,IN,USA
AP - April 14, 2008 5:14 PM ET HUNTINGBURG, Ind. (AP) - A former hospital
bookkeeper is trying to give patients their medical records before they're
<http://www.wthitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8164703&nav=menu593_2>

Marilyn Monroe secret sex tape sold for $1.5m
Telegraph.co.uk <http://telegraph.co.uk/> - United Kingdom
The original film is reportedly still classified and held by the FBI. The
New York Post described the sold version as "an illicit copy" of the silent
<
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/14/wmonroe114.xml

Governor's office wants over $14K to process e-mails for public ...
Fort Mills Times - Fort Mill,SC,USA
Haley Barbour's office wants $14170 to provide The Clarion-Ledger
newspaper's public records request for four days of e-mails from the
governor's staff. ...
<http://www.fortmilltimes.com/124/story/132132.html>

Barbour e-mails come at high cost
Jackson Clarion Ledger - Jackson,MS,USA
Using the state's public-records law, The Clarion-Ledger in February asked
Gov. Haley Barbour's office to produce four days' worth of e-mails from
Barbour's ...
<
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080414/NEWS/804140332/1001/news

Grigory Rasputin Diaries Published in Russia
Russia-InfoCenter - Moscow,Russia
For almost a century notes of Grigory Rasputin were kept in the Russian
State Archive. Both their origin and authenticity remain unobvious. ...
<http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/6160/>

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va