From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:12:20 -0400
Here are some questions to chew on for a Wednesday morning:

I have been reading the list archives for past questions and answers about records retention re: an organization's web page, i.e.,  how to manage it from an RIM standpoint. Outside the specific questions that were asked, I'm wondering what general RIM principles need to, and realistically can, apply. Considering the dynamic nature or many web pages, as whole they are not just documents thrown up on the web. There are transactions being done, scrolling images pulled from different directories on the organization's server, content pulled from source databases that themselves change.

What are the Big Picture issues related to managing your web page? What can be "retained?" And more importantly, what NEEDS to be retained? Is there a business need to "retain" things on your web page, and how would you ever do that?  One single website could be as diverse in its content and operations as an entire company's records. So I'm wandering "is there a way to approach this thing?" Where do you start? What criteria do you set? Can you segment the thing out into categories such as documents, source code, images, etc.? Or should the idea of "retention" NOT be applied to the website itself, but the records of the department(s) that contribute to and manage it?

So that is your mission, should you choose to accept it. If you are captured by the enemy, the RIM team will disavow any knowledge of your existence. The email will NOT self-destruct in five seconds.

Gary Link, CRM
Corporate Records Manager
Astorino
227 Fort Pitt Blvd.