From:
"Bradley, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 09:44:05 -0400
I have experience with large scale removal and intake.  Last year I
worked for GlaxoSmithKline, Upper Merion PA and we moved 140,000
containers from a major storage facility to a new vendor with micro chip
technology which almost eliminates lost containers.  If the container is
in the building, they can find it.  It's a little pricy though, but when
dealing with the FDA it's definitely worth it.  We received 1000
containers per day.  They shipped 40 containers per pallet and due to
the long retentions for pharmaceuticals we had to re-box or reinforce at
least 10 containers per pallet.  I have to tell you it was a grueling
process and we did it in the summer too, which didn't help. Some days
the temperature exceeded 100 degrees in the warehouse. The biggest
challenge I experienced was with temporary staff not showing up in the
beginning, but we eventually found some reliable staff. I have to say
the new vendor was very accommodating and responsive to our needs in
terms of space for staging and racking completed containers.  The
project ran from May to March.

Here's how we did it:

-Each trailer received contained 1000 containers approximately 24-25

 per pallet.  The trailer was seal with a number and compared against

 the shipping manifest as each trailer was received

-We staged 10 pallets at a time

-Scanned each pallet into an excel spread sheet

-Reinforced and re-boxed damaged containers

-Labeled each containers with new micro chip barcodes

-Scanned new bar into new facility and then racked the incoming
 containers.

-The reconciliation took months, but in the end only 1% of our
 containers were lost, which is typical.  Fortunately they were records

 that were close to their disposition.  Overall it went fairly smooth.

Mary Bradley
TIFF
W. Conshohocken, PA