From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 11:25:57 -0700
I agree that this practice is somewhat of a scam.  The white paper is
free of monetary cost, but the price we pay to get it is that we then
get placed on a mailing or calling list to be followed up by a vendor
wanting to sell us a product. In most cases, the reason I want to see a
white paper is to do background research on a topic or product area that
I'm considering but not yet ready to commit to.  If I was already
committed to purchasing something, I think I'd be past the white paper
stage by then!  So, knowing that a vendor is going to call me to follow
up on my white paper request is a bit of a hassle, especially given the
fact that when I tell them I'm not ready to purchase, they'll want to
know when I will be ready and can they continue to call me periodically.
I agree that white paper registration forms should collect names and
email addresses only, and then there should be an "opt out from
receiving contact calls and further information" button included for
those that don't want to be contacted at all.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.