From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 13:34:02 -0400
On May 28, 2008, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From:    Christopher Varlack <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Fire Suppression Systems
>
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know any of the best products for automatic fire
> suppression
> systems for an archives where sensitive documents cannot be exposed to
> water or harmful chemicals?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Christopher Varlack
> Government Archivist
> Archives and Records Management Unit
> Deputy Governor's Office
> BVI Government

Through 23 years we have all sorts of systems installed in our
vaults.  Our experience has shown that 3M's NOVEC #1230 is the
optimum agent based on the criteria of:
1) safety for the occupants
2) The Zero residue basis for the media
3) High Dielectric strength
4) It can be used in the previous Halon equipment with little change
out hardware
5)  It is the Greenest of agents with a Half life of less than 10 days
6) It puts out the fire by evaporative cooling of the heat at a rate
25 times faster than water with no corrosive by products at the heat
source.  It is the first agent to be EPA Approved
7)  It only requires a concentration of 4.2% so it can be delivered
quickly compared say to Intergen which requires a 50% concentration
and an explosive discharge to deliver in the same time period.

There are a myraid of dealers that can supply it so it will be price
competitive.

For those of you still using Halon, it must be gone by 2010 and
Europe is already calling for  the removal of FM-200.  Only the
military can use Halon after 2010 and after that you will be paying a
$3.00 per pound tax for safe destruction of that agent.  If you
decide to just discharge it, there are fines of up to $500,000 so be
careful out there.

Interesting fact, before each flight of military aricraft, their
wings and areas around the fuel tanks are charged with Halon so a
bullet moving through the wing would not ignite the fuel.  I did not
know that until recently.

Call the Air Force and tell them you have some Halon for them and
upgrade to NOVEC.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Technic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.