From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 11:17:02 -0400
Dwight asked "As I am trying to develop specifications to vend this out,
I was wondering if any of you might be willing to share pointers,
specifications, or standards related to this process. One question that
immediately pops into my head: Is it safe/preferable to scan from silver
original film, or should we have the vendors scan from diazo
duplicates?"

A couple of thoughts on this issue.

First, if the information on the microfilm has to be preserved for a
long time (>20 years), then you are still going to depend on the
microfilm (if you are wise). In that case, the shipping and handling
risks if you use the first-generation silver-gelatin microfilm become
paramount, and I, for one, would NOT recommend taking the risk.

If the information's life span is short, then the potentially-better
quality of the first-generation silver-gelatin microfilm may prove a
good reason to use it. I say **potentially** because, as Ginny Jones
pointed out in her posting, "If you had really good original resolution
then second generation images should still be good for scanning."

Second, there is an ANSI/AIIM National Standard, MS49 "Recommended
Practice for Monitoring Image Quality of Roll Microfilm and Microfiche
Scanners" which you should get if quality is an important consideration
in this project. MS49 is currently out of print, but you should be able
to get it through Inter-Library Loan.

Third, two AIIM Technical Reports related to quality control are also
important:  TR34 "Sampling Procedures for Inspection by Attributes of
Images in Electronic Image Management (EIM) & Micrographics Systems" and
TR38 "Identification of Test Images for Document Imaging Applications".

Good luck, and

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212.788.8615