From:
"Savage, Jimmie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 16:36:47 -0500
Dwight:

We did a very large film (jacketed fiche) to image conversion a while
back and ran into some of the same issues you're finding.

The quality of the film (density & resolution) was all over the map. It
was impossible for the vendor to set up a production process to handle
those variations and get clean scans of everything. Nor was it possible,
or economically feasible, to do enough QC to fix all the bad images.
They were very conscientious and caught a lot, but couldn't catch
everything. Consequently we have kept the film and do rescans as needed.

Due to the nature of our records they couldn't be sent off site. So the
conversion was done at our facilities from the original film. So we
didn't have to deal with the issue of quality loss from second
generation images.

However, even with the problems, it was a good project and we're better
off for having everything imaged.

It's just another example of how the real world is not as neat and tidy
as we would like. There are trade-offs no matter what you do. You just
need to find the right balance that best meets your organization's long
term interests.

Jimmie E. Savage, CRM
Manager, Member Data Services
Teacher Retirement System of Texas