From:
David Read <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:15:35 -0600
Hello all,

We are looking at the Retention of Student Exams and Student Work the
faculty/departments end up with when the student doesn't p/u.

Doing a cursory survey of available online schedules I noticed a few
things.

-Many schedules don't have a category for this.

-Some schedules for this material line up with their institutions grade
dispute policy (i.e. "the deadline to dispute a grade is one year after
the end of the class"

-Some schedules have a very short schedule for this type of material
that doesn't match up with the grade dispute policy.

Though it is burdensome on the departments to retain this material--I
can't help but think when folks get stuck with this stuff they need to
hold onto it until the period for grade disputes has passed

Here is an scenario I envision if you don't have a schedule for this
type of material or if it doesn't match you grade dispute period window:

-Student takes heavily weighted exam
-Student bombs heavily weighted exam
-Student doesn't p/u heavily weighted exam
-Prof. shreds heavily weighted exam after one month
-Student Protests final grade for course within grade dispute window
timeline.
-Evidence that contributed heavily to that grade no longer exists

Am I missing anything? Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Cheers.

David

David Read
University Records Manager