From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:17:12 -0500
I've followed the DoD Standard for some time, and have had an
opportunity to present information to ARMA Chapters on that topic.
There are a couple discussion points that I've focused time and
attention on, including:

(1) How that standard can assist those not governed by it (state and
local government agencies, and those outside of US government agencies)
select an Electronic Records Management solution.
(2) That the "standard" applies to software capabilities, and does NOT
provide those acquiring the software with a "ready-made, plug and play"
Electronic Records Management program....that the real work begins AFTER
the software acquisition.

The primary author and "father" of the DoD 5015.2 Standard, Darryl
Prescott has noted is that the DoD standard is not "perfect" and that it
requires some supplemental standards work.  In order to address that,
Darryl has been leading a taskforce within the Object Management
Group....developing what might be considered to be a supplemental
standard that fleshes out areas not particularly well addressed by DoD
5015.2.  Fortunately, one of our ARMA Board members, and "listserv mom"
Susan McKinney has participated in that effort.

We owe Darryl Prescott quite a bit for advancing the "cause" of improved
Records and Information Management in the electronic era..... His work
has been pioneering in nature....

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+