From:
"Devir, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:50:02 -0400
<snip>

From:  Werner, Teresa" <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Tree Calculation

"Does anyone have a correlation between X Banker Boxes = X Trees?"

I used to have a recycle vendor who documented how many trees were saved
on each certificate of destruction they issued.  Don't remember who that
vendor was, or the formula they used, but I did a quick search on the
internet:

According to Michigan Tech Environmental Sustainability Committee:
http://www.esc.mtu.edu/WhatCanIRecycleAtMTU/faq/Default.htm

"How many trees are saved per ton of paper recycled?   Answer: 17"

You can do the math....

.0085 trees per pound of paper.

A 29-30# box of paper would be about .25 trees.

100 boxes = 25 trees.

*************************

From WasteCap of Mass:
http://www.wastecap.org/wastecap/commodities/paper/paper.htm

Calculate the number of trees saved by using the figure of 8,400 pages
per tree.

*************************

From the Sierra Club website:
http://sierraclub.typepad.com/mrgreen/recycling/index.html

Can you tell me how many trees would be saved by recycling a 30-gallon
bin of paper?

A 30-gallon bin will generally hold around 80 pounds of computer paper,
or up to 100 pounds if the paper is tightly packed.

A typical tree used for pulp yields about 83 pounds of office paper,
meaning your bin would essentially hold the equivalent of one tree.
Since 10 to 25 percent of the mass gets lost in the paper-recycling
process, you might not rescue a whole tree each time you fill a bin, but
it's safe to say at least three-fourths of a tree could be saved per
container. Of course, trees come in various sizes, and some species
yield more pulp than others, so these are ballpark figures. Remember too
that all paper is not created equal: Virgin office paper requires twice
as much pulp per pound as virgin newsprint. But any way you slice it,
recycling paper saves a lot of trees.

Brian R. Devir

RM Field Officer

Department of Energy