From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:43:07 -0700
This first article really seems to hit it on the head, only problem I have
is getting my arms around the terminology "document and records management"
(DRM) as most of us who have been involved in these two facets know them as
being discretely different.  I think we're seeming more and more people and
organizations attempting to "lump them together", simply because they don't
know how to effectively address them independently.

The podcast in the second link REALLY point this out.  It also make the
misstatement that there should be a difference between how an organization
manages retention for their electronic content, simply because it's too
complex to apply the same principles used in developing a legally defensible
retention schedule of hundreds of pages to electronic content  =)

I'd like to see ANY ORGANIZATION try to make that logic stand up in
court....  "Well, yes Your Honor, we have had a retention schedule that
we've followed for years, but it's not possible to apply that the records
generated electronically, it just takes too long and it's too complex, so
we're applying  a 'big bucket approach' to THOSE records"

Firms still exposing themselves to risk by not managing
*...*<http://www.cbronline.com/article_feature.asp?guid=204FC696-F50E-4127-B883-37A9128FBFB6>
Computer Business Review - UK
http://www.cbronline.com/article_feature.asp?guid=204FC696-F50E-4127-B883-37A9128FBFB6
Better manageability of unstructured information is also a determining
factor in the decision to implement document and *records management* (DRM).

<http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ncl=http://www.cbronline.com/article_feature.asp%3Fguid%3D204FC696-F50E-4127-B883-37A9128FBFB6>

Why *Records Management* Matters
<http://www.cbronline.com/article_feature.asp?guid=204FC696-F50E-4127-B883-37A9128FBFB6>
http://www.bitpipe.com/detail/RES/1214850516_338.html?asrc=RSS_BP_KABPDATAMINING
40% percent of organizations do not include electronic *records* in their
retention schedules. In this podcast learn about the role of *records
management* and why IT should care about *records management*. Published by:
CA.
 <http://www.bitpipe.com/?asrc=RSS_BP>

--
Larry Medina