From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:15:27 -0400
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:17 PM, joe adams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello… what is the general rule regarding retention guidelines for keeping
> revised records? Example a contract is signed off today; 6 mths later the
> contract needs to be changed. How long or do you need to keep the original
> contact?

a lot depends upon the type of record and how it was revised. in your
example (as others have noted) the amendment becomes part of the original
contract and retention does not kick in until the trigger event ie
termination, cancellation, etc  occurs.

but what about other records such as policies? Well depends upon the policy.
for example at a former employer we retained HR policies for the Life of the
Corporation (better sounding than permanent). The policies might be revised
several times over the years due to changes in regulations, laws or business
circumstances. But didn't mean the previous policies weren't valid. We
regularly received queries from retired employees stating "back in 19xx the
policy for y was such and such..." and we would have to dig up that policy.

Basically there is no blanket rule on how to handle revised records, it all
depends upon the purpose, use and function of the record within the
organization.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va