From:
"LEVEY, MICHAEL D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:57:06 -0400
Hugh,

In a former life, I was the Manager of International Trade Compliance
for a manufacturer of products that were deemed 'dual use' used for
commercial and/or defense purposes.  The temporary or permanent export
of products to be used for general business or commercial type purposes
overseas requires pre-approval and coordination with the US Department
of Commerce. The exporter is required to complete a license application,
shipper's export declaration and other forms that dependent upon the
type of license, include an import (end use) certificate from the
foreign government. You will need to exercise due diligence to ensure
that your importer and your customers are not embargoed by first
reviewing lists provided by US Office of Foreign Assets (OFAC) and
others. You may want to ship your personal effects or temporary items
via a document called a 'carnet'.  A carnet is a passport for items that
are to shipped temporarily to a foreign country and ultimately returned
to their country of origin. There are tax/duty benefits for shipping on
a carnet. Since we are officially at war in Iraq, the US State
Department will have jurisdiction over any items exported or imported
from Iraq.

The export of goods and services for use by foreign governments, agents
and defense purposes requires approval from the US Department of State's
Office of Defense Trade Controls (ODTC).  Prior to approval you will
need to register "Firelock" with the ODTC.  You will receive a corporate
registration number and will be assigned a Licensing Officer. Once
registered, you will need to complete an application for a license.  The
license type will depend upon how the vault will be used. Be prepared to
provide a copy of the purchase order and other supporting documentation
e.g. RFI. The ODTC will internally circulate your application and
documentation to the appropriate review board (doD, et al) prior to
approval.  The entire process can take several months.  However, you may
'walk through' your application with the ODTC at their offices in
Arlington, VA.  You will need to set up an appointment in advance.  I
have been able to walk through items and receive approval in a single
day.  I can provide you with my former ODTC contact information off-line
if you like.

A freight forwarder, shipper etc. that specializes in international
trade is a great resource and can provide you with information regarding
the process. Not knowing the size of the vault, it likely to be most
practical and efficient to ship via ocean freight.  A freight forwarder
will shop around for the best rate and assist with the completion of
export paperwork.  They will also lodge the license you receive from the
ODTC with US Customs (required) at the port of export, prior to export.
I would recommend a large international freight forwarder with
significant experience for your export needs (e.g. Nippon Express, Emery
Worldwide)  They are likely to have offices and personnel in PA.
Additional resources and publications are available with the US
Department of Commerce, Treasury Services on line.  You may also wisdh
to contact your state's office for international commerce.

Michael Levey

Tel:(803)217-8580
Fax:(803)933-8612