From:
"McLemore, Dustin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:24:16 -0500
Hi Fellow "Listers",

I, along with a colleague (who is also a list member), conducted a
training session for our organization today which is just launching a
formal records management program.  I was brought on to put things in
motion.  As such, I have been conducting site audits, launching
inventories and getting retention schedules formalized in a cooperative
effort with the City's corporate records department.  In the class
today, we were discussing retention schedules and what they mean to the
utility as a whole.  There were a few individuals who have severe
opposition to "throwing records away" even when past their retention
period.  The question was "well why can't we just hang on to them?"  I
informed them that three benefits to the utility were to reduce storage
space, cost and possible liability in public information/open records
requests.  My colleague added that since the retention schedule was a
legally binding document, documents did need to be disposed of at the
end of their retention period, if no additional action was required.
Despite this reasoning, there were still several individuals who did not
"see the need" for a retention schedule.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback on what to tell
these individuals hesitant to implement retention and control schedule;
aside from what we have already told them.  "Real world" examples would
also help.

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Dustin D. McLemore, MPA ('08)

Records Liaison Officer

City of Austin d/b/a Austin Energy

721 Barton Springs Road

Austin, TX 78704

 E-mail:    [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This information is intended solely for the person(s) named herein and
may contain material categorized as official government business.  You
are hereby notified that unauthorized reproduction or dissemination of
any data contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited pursuant
to the laws of the State of Texas.  If you are not the named recipient,
please delete this message and notify the sender immediately.