From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:22:04 -0700
Dustin, you could also look at this as phase one of an on-going process.
Retention schedules are fluid documents, and should be reviewed on a
regular basis. Its not uncommon to see resistance the first time a
retention schedule is developed. It may be worthwhile to negotiate
retentions on particular record series to accommodate the few naysayers,
then revisit within a few years. This way you establish your program as
one willing to listen right off the bat, and you get the resisters into
the system. Once they realize that the system works, and records can be
destroyed without the world coming to an end, they often are more than
willing to revisit retention issues at a later date. We have
successfully reduced most of our own retentions, and gotten people to
participate in the records management process, through just such an
ongoing process of negotiation and review.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741