From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:19:22 -0400
On 7/9/08, Deanna Brouillette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Peter wrote:  when you were developing the retention schedules how
>
> many folks from the departments concerned did you involve in the
> development? For example were these "protesters" aware that retention
> schedules were under development?
>

> I think sometimes things can turn into a mess if you try to communicate
> with every employee during the development phase of a schedule or an RM
> program.

yes too many cooks can spoil the broth. I wasn't suggesting that everyone in
a department be involved in the schedule development, but rather that in the
beginning you hold a meeting announcing to all department employees what is
going on. At that meeting an upper-level mgmt type can point out that
cooperation is required and that all are expected to be cooperative. The
same meeting can point out that not everyone will be involved in the
development of the schedule, but that suggestions and information will be
gladly received. Afterwards you send out regular communications telling
where you are in the process eg inventory started, completed, ask for
information etc. This way  when it comes to edumacating everyone they are
somewhat informed.

 However, I do like to include known problem children in early stages just
> because they will play devil's advocate on every issue & you learn what a
> lot of common complaints will be.

oh most definitely, but you have to make sure that they understand up front
that their opinion is appreciated, but that they are their to help not
hinder.

Even though I don't think it's feasible to include everyone in development,
> sometimes explaining to complainers who from their departments were involved
> can assuage some fears.  Some will say, well ok, if Bob is comfortable with
> it then I guess I am.

I guess I'm from school of the more information the less trouble there is.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va