From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 20:27:39 -0400
Re: " any tool that improves real constituent communication is a good thing
as far as I am concerned."

I would agree, but as Peter mentioned regarding broadband vs dial-up and who
uses technologies we forget that when we "adopt" a technology we may be
limiting our communications audience. We forget for instance that most of
the world by far is still - gasp - paper based. It's low tech, requires, no
electricity or "viewers" and no "backup." With a flashlight you can read it
in a cave.

A few years ago, in an engagement with an international banking firm, I was
appalled to find myself speaking about electronic records to some records
coordinator attendees from foreign countries only to realize that most of
the audience consider themselves to be fortunate if they even had a personal
computer. They found it fascinating that email archives, ECM repositories
and PDAs even existed. Their government records were (and still are) 99%
paper. What good would it do to decide that all future records management
policies would also apply to databases, Web sites, etc.?

Is a government really serving its people if it decides to conduct business
in a manner they can not participate in? Or if it decides to create records
in formats that the populace can not read?

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management