From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:07:07 -0400
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> No simple answer. The next question is the purpose of the search. Is this
> records management compliance, litigation support / discovery, or an
> internal investigation? Next, does the user know about the search?

PatC raises a very good point. Why are you searching for emails? We're all
aware of searching for emails as part of litigation support, but I believe
that more and more emails will be sought as part of internal investigations
that could lead to criminal charges or as part of a criminal investigations.
The investigation could be either federal state  or local in nature.
But the rules of evidence for a criminal investigation are vastly different
from those rules associated with litigation support

Why do I believe that we will see more emails sought as part of an
investigation? Well just look at recent RAIN postings and see how many
contain stories about intellectual property theft. Email provides an easy
means for transporting unstructured data out of an organization.

I believe that in the future information security is going to be an added
responsibility for records managers. Information security or information
access already plays a role in the implementation of ERM/EDM systems.
Besides take a look at what PatC is doing now. He is part of Information
security at his employer.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va