From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:09:43 -0400
Hi Tom,

Curious to know more about your interest in this topic...what is it you seek
to know, and what have you learned?  Hope you will share that on the list
(or off list if preferred).

Design and delivery of education in records and related domains has occupied
a significant slice of my career. Usually, it has been a complement to other
roles.  Sometimes a direct focus.  For example, in an earlier life I carried
a portfolio of 6 (rotating) government departments at any point in time
supporting their RM infrastructures as an assigned central agency analyst.
Among other activities, the role required needs analysis, design and
delivery of training.  Later, I was the central agencies training and
development officer and coordinated the first joint federal/provincial RM
education. (Yep, Canada.)

As governments first management level departmental records officer, part of
my role was to strengthen RM capacity in 700 staff spread over a territory
the size of France & Germany combined, supporting 500 offices. Staff
delivered that training and my participation was relegated to less formal
training of senior management.  Still remember a meeting with the Deputy
Minister and ADMs in which the IT ADM tried to trip me up on whether a
matchbook could be a record...

During this period, I served as advisor to Camosun College in relation to
the Office Careers Program and education provided to the workforce that
would come into government with RM credits. I also taught courses in the
specific classification scheme and RM generally, and filled two semesters
basic and advanced level courses when the instructor was on leave.

Moving into consulting practice in 1996, education and training was a
critical component of helping diverse organisations move to new habits in
records management as well as teaching role specific skills (project
management, classification, taxonomy design, retention planning, etc.)  I
taught Procurement of Health Information technology at the University of
Victoria, incorporating an ERM lens, and then moved to Asia to assume
Directorship of the Government Records Service in Hong Kong where my role
was accountable for government-wide education in a variety of record related
topics for some 80,000 people.

Back into consulting, I teach part-time as two local universities (graduate
and undergrad courses) and provide contracted curriculum development, as
well as many workshops and seminars and we are now listed with HR learning
and development providers in France for clients throughout Asia.

Increasingly, my educational work is focused on establishing the RIM
underpinnings of domains more attractive to decision makers.  We are also
now exploring an accounting method for intellectual capital measurement and
I hope to find a research project that will enable testing this relative to
RIM programs and their inherent value.  It would be great to include that in
the text we are writing, but that's all about timing ;-)

Happy to answer any specific questions.  Again, can you share your angle of
interest?

Cheers,
John

John James O'Brien, BA, CRM, MALT