From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:18:56 -0400
Well, I was a big fan of Mr Marx's work and pontification, but on this one
(at least when it comes to professional associations), I'd have to disagree
with him.  It's more like going to church... sure, you can pray when you're
on the outside, and at least ONE OTHER knows you're doing it... but if you
do it inside everyone else there knows you're part of the congregation =)

As for this:

  We should talk about this ICRM entity; as it seems that RM's aspire
  to be CRM's and when they achieve it, they have their own club.  So
  just when somebody achieves the highest level of skill, they move to
  another organization.  Maybe the ICRM should have special spots on
  the ARMA Board so they can raise the esteem of the whole of ARMA, as
  it is to their benefit to do so

Yeah... and you forgot about the secret handshake!!  Many ARMA members and
non-members alike decide to proceed along the path to becoming CRMs, and
don't get me started on this one, I can tell you from personal and public
experience, NOT ALL CRMs are created alike.  You can have the designation
and the knowledge required to attain it, or apparently you can have some
entities write compelling letters on your behalf, then test well enough, and
get it.

I disagree completely that the ICRM as an entity should have seats on the
ARMA Board, but as Peter pointed out, MANY ARMA Board members present and
past have held a CRM.  CRMs are represented, it's up to them to make the
case for the need to raise the profile of the professionals within the
profession.

And when it comes to marketing the profession, the organization has had over
50 years to do it and I think we know whose responsibility it's become...
and many of us have recognized this for years.  Nobody does it better than
we can do it ourselves.  You can hitch your trailer to someone else's bumper
and go along for the ride, but you'll only end up where they want to take
you.   If you want to control your own destiny, you'll have to build an
engine and turn that trailer into a self-powered vehicle, then you can start
charting your own course.

There are a number of us that have offered suggestions similar to those you
shared in your Marketing Plan and also others related specifically to
communications and reaching a broader audience in the business world and
it's fallen on deaf ears.  In your line of business I'm sure you've learned
that no matter how compelling an argument you can make about the value of
what you're promoting, until you find someone who is convinced that not only
are you right, that it's the right time for them to buy in will you
successfully close the deal.

Also, I think you know the rule of diminishing returns, and at some point,
you just stop trying because professionally and personally, it's no longer
worth the effort.  The maximum return on investment will never equal what
you've put into it... so you invest your effort elsewhere.

Larry