From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 21:31:16 -0600
Well you know me, I have to agree with Bob on everything.Well maybe not everything, but using access is a fine idea. the greatest thing it has going for it is that you already have it. It is easy to migrate to an out of the box solution when the need eventually arrives, and it will. IMO opinion time spent designing your tools will be well spent. Keep in mind that Access is limited. It's like buying a rat rod. It's cheap, easy to operate and if it has a problem you can fix it. If you need to go to prom or give the boss a ride to the airport you might have issues. Chris Flynn> Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 18:46:19 -0700> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Using Microsoft Access for Records Management> To: [log in to unmask]> > While I agree with most of what the others have said.  However, if you> cannot afford or management cannot afford a full fledge document management> system, and your organization IT function has someone who is familiar with> Access it can be used to manage records.  > > I have used Access for the management of records for more than one> organization.  You can manage boxes and individual records, plus in the> design stage add a memo field which can searched, create file labels, create> indices, etc.,  > > I wrote an article a few years ago on using Access to manage an> organizations records.  I have uploaded the file to my BLOG and can be> viewed and/or copied.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  > > Blog address:  http://askthecrm.blogspot.com/> > > > Robert W. Dalton, CRM> 1-253-229-4555> [log in to unmask]> > "This communication is intended for the sole use of the individual and> entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is> privileged, confidential and excempt from disclosure under application law.> If you have received this communication in error, please notify me> immediately by calling 1-253-229-4555, or by reply to this communication> > > > -----Original Message-----> From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf> Of STEPHANIE THOMAS> Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:50 AM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: [RM] Using Microsoft Access for Records Management> > Hello,> > I work for a mining consultants.  One my jobs is to create a  catalogue so > employees can locate the digital and paper copies of our technical reports.> > The digital copies are stored on our server by client name and the hard copy> > reports are filed by company name.  There are a few indexes in Excel, for > current and past projects, that include the project name, project number, > project location, type of work and commodity.  The problem is, if we are > looking for, say, an example of a report on a gold due diligence review or a> > report on a copper project in Chile it is tediuos to search through the > spreadsheets or to try and remember which project fit the bill.> > At my last position, with a mining company, I created just this sort of > catalogue for locating their hard copy technical reports, maps and > administrative files.  I used a free-form database called askSam because it > was easy for people with very little database experience to use - in case I > was on holiday, got hit by a car etc.  It worked very well.  However, this > time, since I have the luxury of having much of the information I need > already entered into spreadsheets, it seems logical to create a relational > database.  I would want the users to have the ability to search by the > access points I just mentioned, and other key words.> > My employer was thinking of using Access, as we already have it as part of > Microsoft Office Professional.  I have only used Access for storing > membership information for an organization I belong to and tracking who's > renewed, what class of membership and who gets renewal notices and for > generating mailing labels.  I created various queries to generate reports > for marketing purposes.  I'm not convinced that Access will offer the > searching capabilities necessary for what I want to create.  It seems to me > it is for tracking business transactions, sales and marketing information > and that sort of thing, not for creating searchable indexes or  catalogues.> > Has anyone used Access for records management purposes?  Did it work well or> > did you end up switching to a package that is made specifically for records > management?> > Further down the road, I'd like to include a link to the electronic copies > of the reports.  Has anyone used a relational database package that allows > for that?> > Any comments / warnings / advice are welcome.  Please contact me directly, > unless there are others on the list that might be interested.> > Thank you.> > Stephanie Thomas> > List archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/recmgmt-l.html> Contact [log in to unmask] for assistance> To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already present,> place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.> mailto:[log in to unmask]> > List archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/recmgmt-l.html> Contact [log in to unmask] for assistance> To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.> mailto:[log in to unmask]