From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:09:04 -0400
Thanks, Patrick.

Going to ARMA?

Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patrick Cunningham
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 09:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [RM] Non-record email retention

Fred,
My blog contained observations, not current practices. Haven't personally implemented these things quite yet. Nonetheless, the way that the model is set up, the users have total control. They can do nothing and their Inbox gets dumped at some point (which is why the trend I'm observing is to retain the uncategorized stuff out to a year or so); they can put things into transitional folders; or they can declare the email a record and put it into a retention folder. And, of course, they can delete the email upon receipt. (The net of it is that the retention of non-record communications is set at "not to exceed" a certain period of time as a matter of IT process, not retention policy.) My sense is that we have to get the user to do something immediately upon creation or receipt of the email. If it sits there, it will never be dealt with. Clearly, this practice is not going to work in environments where all communications must be retained for a minimum period
 of time, although I would suggest that the minimum period of time required by regulation or statute simply becomes the default and the user should still folder records appropriately.
With regard to mobile devices such as the Motorola Q, Palm Centro, or RIM Blackberry, if the device is used for business purposes, it should be connected to an enterprise messaging system such as Motorola's Good Mobile Messaging or the RIM Blackberry Enterprise Server. These systems have the ability to better manage messages in sync with the corporate mail system, retaining messages on corporate servers rather than on the device alone. In most cases, the Microsoft Outlook / Exchange or IBM Lotus Notes folder structure is carried through to the mobile device. And, of course, enforced policies need to be in place that speak to the use of alternate communications channels (IM, personal email, PIN to PIN communications, etc.) for business purposes.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."