From:
"Brent D. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:00:37 -0700
I think of data mining as a process by which a collection of information,
meeting some criteria, is extracted from a broad or comprehensive source
to address a specific need.  Generally it applies to electronic data, and
is done via computers, though technically, the media is not relevant to
the process.   I don't see that it is relevant whether the data is or is
not considered a "record".
Records Management is concerned more with the storage, security, retrieval
and ultimate disposition of records.  We seldom get too much into specific
content,  except as it is needed to establish appropriate handling of the
record.
You could apply data mining techniques to RM system data to extract
statistics on the activities, or other facts about the records generally.
You could also take a broader view of data mining and focus on the records
management function of retrieving records.  We should be able to identify
and locate needed records.  Depending on the extent of the metadata on the
managed records, we may or may not be able to identify and retrieve
multiple records that would provide information greater than the sum of
its parts.  However, I think it is a bit of a stretch to call this data
mining.

Brent D. Smith
Corporate Records System Administrator
Office Services
Guardian Life Insurance Co.
777 E. Magnesium Rd.
Spokane WA 99208
509-468-6225

<<<<Dear all,

I'm currently a master student in IT. I was suppose to do a survey on
record
management for my thesis but my title was not approved by my head of
department since it does not have any relation with information system.

I would like to enquire if anybody knows if there is any relationship
between record management and data mining?

Or maybe i can put it this way: "Is record management interrelated with
data
mining?"/ "can i relates data mining with record management?"

I hope someone would help me on this. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Nelly >>>>>>

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.