From:
Gerry McFatridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:07:25 -0400
Peter Kurilecz says:

>well Gerry what you need to do is take a look at ISO 15489 where it
states

Wikipedia conveniently references ISO 15489 in the very first paragraph
of its "Records Management" article. <grin>

>..."information created, received,and maintained
>as evidence and information by an organization
>or person, in pursuance of legal obligations or in the
>transaction of business."

"In pursuance of legal obligations or in the transaction of business."

Right. I get that. That would be the "specific consequential
circumstances" I referred to.

But surely - "In pursuance of legal obligations or in the transaction of
business." does not imply that all information is, in and of itself,
always a record.

I don't disagree with the earlier example that a piece of pipe with a
number on it can be a record in certain circumstances. However, is it
really likely to be the consensus of a random group of CRM credentialed
records managers that any random piece of pipe with or without a number
painted on it, is at every time and place always to be considered a
record? Does not context matter?

My department puts thousands of feet of pipe in the ground each year. If
every length of pipe is a record I guess we need to revise our
classification and retention shedules as the state mandated schedules
don't have a listing for pipe.

Actually, I guess we already do have a default retention schedule for
our pipe - Pipe: Ductile Iron: Keep until broken <grin>

Gerry