From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:57:32 -0400
<I guess we already do have a default retention schedule for our pipe -
Pipe: Ductile Iron: Keep until broken <grin>>
The official Commonwealth of Virginia retention for records of pipe in
the ground (and, I guess, the pipe itself being part of the record) is
"retain until pipe is abandoned or removed from the ground."
Interesting to know if the once the pipe is removed from the ground,
does it become another record type (if it is used as evidence)?  8-)

This thread is, as usual, the RM equivalent of the old theological
discussion of how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.  The
definition of a record, while more and more consistent with ISO 15489
and other E.U., Canadian, and Australian standards, differs based on
circumstances, organization, and function.  The legal definition is
fairly explicit, depending on the law invoked.  But you'll notice that
the definition of "record" differs even from law to law (and, of course,
country to country).  While most are currently based on the ISO 15489
definition as a foundation (or possibly the ISO 15489 definition was
based on that used in most laws?) - they all deviate in some way, large
or small.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager