From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:44:59 -0700
Jesse Wilkins wrote:

> Compare cloud services to the electricity grid. Nobody could imagine in 1900
> outsourcing all of their energy needs to "the electricity cloud" - what
> happens if it goes down? What happens if the "power line" is cut?
Items called "Uninterruptable Power Supply" and "generator".
Both of those are used when an enterprise is serious about staying up
and running in the event of some little problem such as SoCal
experienced more than once in the last few years.

>  What
> happens if they jack the prices way up?
Solar.

> What Amazon, Google, and the like
> are trying to provide is the information services grid. It's more robust
> than your internal solution. It doesn't go down - and when it does, as
> Google Gmail did this week, it's still more reliable than 99% of corporate
> email.

huh? "it doesn't go down, AND WHEN it does"???!!!

>  Unless you have massively redundant clustered email services
> internally, which are quite complex and expensive to provide and therefore
> outside the availability for most small- and medium-sized organizations,
> Gmail is more reliable than Exchange, Domino, or Groupwise. It's not even a
> close call.

if you don't need any of the features that those provide...

> So sorry, but this is not just " another attempt for the IT vendor community
> to try and prove "anything you can do we can do better"". It's a fairly
> radical change in technology architecture and approach that a lot of
> companies are exploring as means to give them more robustness and
> scalability at lower cost while still providing required compliance and
> security capabilities. Records managers need to consider how to manage these
> environments rather than simply rail against them.

the key word is "exploring" .
lotsa luck to those who trust critical data to a 'vendor' without a
bulletproof SLA.

cheers
Jay

--