From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:44:32 -0700
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Manago, William M <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Here is a question that I hope spurs interesting debate.  Should records
> that are deemed vital be exempt from destruction, regardless of what the
> disposition instructions or retention schedules indicate?
>
> Bill Manago, CRM
> Information Governance Strategist
> CA, Information Governance

Seriously?  I mean I hope there's no need to spur debate about this subject,
especially from a CRM's perspective.

Excerpts from the ICRM Handbook:  http://icrm.org/

Preparing for the CRM Examination   Section 2 – Taking the Examination

A. BASIC CONCEPTS

1. Definitions. Know and understand the definition of a record. Interpret
the use of records and how they interact with the functions, policies,
decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the organization.
Be able to define terms such as reference materials, non-records, official
records, convenience files, personal records, publications, and duplicate
records. Know the purpose of company designated legal documentation.
Understand the concept of the record series and how it relates to the
organization's file plan and its records retention schedule.

B. RECORDS INVENTORY

1. Definitions and Objectives. Know and understand the concepts, processes
and procedures involved with a records inventory. Interpret the correlation
between the records inventory and the volume, scope, location, and
complexity of an organization's records. Be able to explain the relationship
among the records inventory, the records retention schedule, and the vital
records programs.

G. DATA/SYSTEM DISPOSITION
1. Applying the retention schedule. Be able to explain how a RIM manager can
influence the appropriate retention and destruction of data, including vital
records, through the application of records retention schedules to all
record formats and how software can be used to manage the process for both
electronic and physical records

Preparing for the CRM Examination Section 3 – Sample Examination
 PART 4 RECORDS APPRAISAL, RETENTION, PROTECTION, AND DISPOSITION

4. A _____ retention schedule specifies retention periods for designated
records series regardless of which program unit they're maintained.
a. departmental
b. master
c. vital records
d. general