From:
Christina Zamon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:38:32 -0400
Good morning, I just got a message from our college registrar that we
now only need to keep admission applications for one year rather than
three years.  After doing some searches I see colleges and universities
requiring anything from a 1 year retention to a 5 years post-graduation
retention.  It looks like these are based on how the applications are
filed.  I will have to double check but I think if a student is admitted
and enrolls their application becomes part of their student record vs.
all of the applications that we get where students are denied admission
or never enroll.  I think these applications are for students who were
denied or never enrolled.

I see that Tufts recently updated their retention schedule last month
and have application forms listed as eligible for destruction after one
year.  Can anyone clarify for me what the retention of these records
should be?

Christina J. Zamon

Head of Archives and Special Collections

Emerson College

120 Boylston Street

Boston, MA  02116

Tel: (617) 824-8679