From:
John Peden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:32:42 -0500
Thanks for remembering us down here in the Houston-Galveston area, Peter, especially the folks in Galveston. It is horrible to see how much of a wonderful, historic city has not been damaged, but destroyed. The statue related to the 1900 storm mentioned in an earlier posting was dedicated primarily to the many orphans who drowned then where there was no boulevard. My great grandmother also drowned in Galveston in 1900.

As far as the Lone Star Flight Museum is concerned, there is good news and bad news. Some of the planes were flown north, but many remained. There was 10-13 feet of water in the hangers. Time will tell if these planes can be restored and at what price. I heard that the two major airports here in Houston (Hobby and Intercontinental) did not accept any of the planes because they were already crowded, plus both of those airports had some damage.

Day-by-day, we are seeing progress in the area. However, well over 50% of the electricity in Houston is still not up and running. I must give credit though to the local energy providers and the thousands of other people from other companies outside of the area who have been working 16 hour shifts.

As I look out my office on the 14th floor in the Galleria area and see a beautiful day, it is hard to believe how horrific Ike was. Please continue to keep all the people of southeast Texas in your thoughts and prayers.

Warm regards to all,

John Peden
Access Sciences Corporation
1900 West Loop South, Suite 1450