From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:32:06 -0600
Hi Peter,

I agree absolutely with your post and in particular #3, I just think that in
many cases folks don't realize that that is a possibility and that that is
what big buckets are built on. It's not keeping things in exception to the
schedule, and as someone (Larry?) noted earlier in the thread it comes down
to risk management. I suspect that many organizations would rather have the
incremental risk of e.g. keeping certain records a year or two longer than
needed if it meant that they could do a better job of declaring them and
managing them.

By the way, for those of you not ARMA members and even those that are who
may have missed this, the current issue of the IMJ has another "Hot Topic"
insert, this one on "Trimming Your Bucket List: An Approach for Increasing
Retention Compliance". It's written by Susan Cisco, Ph. D, CRM; Bruce
Miller; and John Montana, JD. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I
know that Susan in particular has spent the last couple of years on this
topic so I expect it will be pretty good.

Just one more reason to join ARMA. :)

Jesse Wilkins