From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:21:48 -0500
Maryam!

The best place to find information about health information management
rules and regulations in the United States in the American Health
Information Management Association (www.ahima.org ).  There are many
articles, white papers, and policy statements there regarding how to
properly manage records pertaining to especially protected records
containing information about HIV status, mental health or psychiatric
conditions, and chronic illnesses that might endanger others because
they are not currently curable.  If you are not a member, you can
contact customer service and see if they can check their research
library on your behalf.

Another source of information would be the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention at
http://www.cdc.gov/.  The records managers there are very helpful and
can answer a number of specific questions regarding

If you are looking for International rules and regulations, I would
recommend the International Federation of Health Records Organizations
(http://www.ifhro.org/ ) which works closely with the World Health
Organization.  They are currently working on many projects to address
how HIV and AIDS information is treated in many countries, particularly
in countries hard hit by the health crisis.

Please contact me if I can be of assistance.  Among other things I am a
Registered Health Information Administrator and would be glad to provide
information that you need with more information about your current
working environment.

Angie Fares, RHIA, CISA, CRM
Director, Corporate Records & Information
RadioShack Corporation
300 RadioShack Circle, WF4-130
Fort Worth, TX  76102
Phone: 817-415-4925