From:
Beverly Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:09:58 -0500
Graham,

I totally agree with you.

Beverly A. Harris
Records Manager
Newfield Exploration Company
363 N. Sam Houston Pkwy. E.
Suite 2020 Houston, Texas 77060
Office:  281-405-4269
Cell:  713-647-2840
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Graham Kitchen
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: E-mail, Instant & Text Message Record Destruction

I think most people have been sucked into the IT lie that email is
complicated (kinda like the Emperor's New Clothes).

This list serve does not hear from me very often, but when I post, it is
point out that we must stick to basics.

What would we do with a hard copy letter or a memo that contains the
information that we currently receive in an email?  The answer?..... we
would classify it and place it in a folder titled with the subject
matter of
the communication.  Why is it so difficult to create folders on a hard
drive
and do the same thing with email?  Each directory file would have a
specific
retention that matches a hard copy of a similar subject matter.  The
employee does not make the decisions of what and how long, they were not
hired to do that; the records manager was and the IT manager was hired
decide on the how.

When doing a RIM survey, one of the questions that should be asked is
"In
the course of doing your job, what information do you collect, create
and/or
disseminate?".  The answers to this question must all be included in the
retention schedule in some way.

If we are dealing with instructions from a boss regarding an accounts
payable situation, where would we file it?  If we are dealing with a
joke
that is being circulated, where would we file it?  If we are dealing
with a
comment from a co-worker about the way another co-worker dresses, where
would we file it?... and so it goes.  With common sense :) we would know
what is a record and what is not a record.

Why does it become complicated because of the delivery method?  If we
have a
retention schedule that is complete, it is the retention schedule that
is
the deciding factor in how long and where the information is to be kept.
 The decisions should already be made.  If something is missing, add it.
 why is that so hard?

--
Graham Kitchen
OTECH International