From:
Brent Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:56:34 -0400
>>Graham said (in part): "I think most people have been sucked into the IT
>>lie that email is complicated (kinda like the Emperor's New Clothes)."

>Graham, dealing with electronic records generally, and email in particular,
>is more troublesome--as well as more complicated--for several reasons I can
>think of "off the top of my head" (I'm looking forward to other postings on
>this subject by others more knowledgeable than I!).

I don't claim to be more knowledgeable, but I'll chime in with my .02.

No offense to Graham, but Me thinks you over simplified things just a bit.

Fred made the points very well, and I don't want to be another "Me too", but
I think you summed it up very well, especially considering you did it on
your BB.

The main point that I would stress is that the average user doesn't benefit
from performing Records Management. The users benefit from Document
Management, (being able to locate their documents, version control, etc.)
but it is the organization that benefits from Records Management - cost
savings related to discovery, avoidance of fines and jail time from not
properly retaining and/or destroying Records, etc. (a generalization - yes,
but not inaccurate).

Until intelligence can be built into the software to properly classify
documents as Records as they are created, users will tend to take the easy
way out and classify things as Miscellaneous when it comes to Records.

If organizations take Records Management seriously, they assign people to
the task of properly classifying Records  - people whose job it is to
properly classify Records and who are rewarded with positive reviews for
doing such. They also implement processes - utilizing workflow - to ensure
that the documents that are created are analyzed and classified properly.

I don't want to repeat everything that Fred already said, but want to back
him up as I agree with the majority of his observations and statements.

</soapbox>

Brent Reid
Alexandri