From:
Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:46:44 -0700
In some countries this is done by describing precisely the
authenticating process and the responsibilities for it (especially if
they are shifting responsibilities, it is important to specify what
office has the authority to assign them and according to what
criteria) in a code of administrative procedure.  You could then put
it the code on line and have in each document that is authenticated
according to the code a link to it.

Authenticity, with digital records, will have to be an inference
rather than a verification, that is, it will have to be determined on
the basis of the controls exercised upon the circumstances of
creation of the records.  The strongest control is the writing of
detailed procedures, formally approved by the proper authorities,
with the possibility of testing the creation process against a formal
code of procedure. You can find a discussion of this in the
Authenticity Task Force report of InterPARES 1
(http://www.interpares.org/book/interpares_book_d_part1.pdf) and its
authenticity requirements
(http://www.interpares.org/book/interpares_book_k_app02.pdf) and also
in the Policy framework of InterPARES  2
(http://www.interpares.org/ip2/display_file.cfm?doc=ip2_book_appendix_19.pdf)
and the Creator's Guidelines
(http://www.interpares.org/ip2/display_file.cfm?doc=ip2_book_appendix_20.pdf).

Luciana Duranti

At 02:02 AM 24/09/2008, you wrote:
>Hello everyone
>
>My organisation has an EDRMS that has an "approvals" facility whereby we can
>assign individuals at various points approve outgoing documents as final,
>rather than having to get the document printed and signed by hand. We would
>like to implement this so that paper is no longer required in the process.
>Our quandrary is how to reflect this "approval" in the document so that the
>external party can be assured the correspondence is authentic, given that
>there will be no handwritten signature which is traditionally viewed as
>making a letter authentic. We would like to avoid using digital signatures
>if possible, and instead have some phrase or block of text that we could
>incorporate into our templates as a standard issue.
>
>I was wondering if anybody would like to share their experiences/work
>practices of using digital signatures or other alternatives such as approval
>mechanisms for their outgoing correspondence? I'd be interested in any
>experiences on or off list.
>
>I hope that makes sense!
>Thanks very much in advance

>To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already
>present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body
>of the message.
>mailto:[log in to unmask]
>

>Inbound email scanned for viruses. (e248)
>

>Outbound email scanned for viruses.  (e230)

>To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already
>present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body
>of the message.
>mailto:[log in to unmask]

Dr. Luciana Duranti
Chair and Professor, Archival Studies
Director, The InterPARES Project www.interpares.org
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies www.slais.ubc.ca
The University of British Columbia
The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
Suite 470, 1961 East Mall
Vancouver, British Columbia  V6T 1Z1 CANADA
Tel: 604.822.2587
Fax: 604.822.6006
www.lucianaduranti.ca