From:
Rich Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:42:02 -0600
Greetings from Wonderful Wyoming,

Thanks Tim for sharing. It is a good basic article, along with the accompanying comments, about what the public is thinking in regards, to public records. During a recent legislative session, our newspaper association stated they wanted to remove the delete key from all public employee computers.

The city IT manager's comment, "...the city purchased a server for $9,000 that captures all city e-mail in a searchable archive. The server is big enough to last about 15 years, at current usage, and is costing about $2,000 a year to maintain." demonstrates why RIM professionals need to establish close working relationships with IT and legal. I am glad ARMA leadership has seen this need and is helping our membership move in this direction.

Regards,

Rich Wilson
Records Management Supervisor
Government Records
2301 Central Ave
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0001
Phone: 307-777-5586  Fax: 307-777-7044

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and may be disclosed to third parties.

>>> On 10/6/2008 at 12:57 PM, in message <[log in to unmask]>, Tim Barnard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Since Peter's hiatus apparently began as of October 1, I'll post this one myself.  Our state's Local Government Records Committee recently attempted to tackle retention of correspondence (see our webpage here http://wwwmdah.state.ms.us/recman/proposed.php for what I thought would be the "easy" schedules), but when I explained that it would include some e-mail, there were more questions raised than answers.  We held a special hearing this past Wednesday just to explore issues regarding e-mail.  One of the local reporters who covers public records issues was there and submitted this story:

Some public info destroyed
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008810020362

While the headline is an attention-grabber, the article was fair.  I think this is the first time the committee made the news since it was first organized 12 years ago.  I'm anxious to see how many people will show up for our regular meeting on the 21st!

Tim Barnard