From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:57:28 -0700
Phil:

There are a number of differences that come immediately to mind between the
Educational and Commercial worlds.  These are not practice differences so
much as environmental.

1) In the commercial world, regulations like Sarbanes Oxley have convinced
management that RIM is a necessity.  In Higher Ed RIM is often seen as a
nicety.

2) It amazes me how independent units of a university are.  A University
records manager I talked to this week referred to it as "democracy run
amok". An edict from on high is often ignored with impunity.  In the
commercial world, you would expect to get fired or at least a bad review
with salary impact.

3) Higher Ed takes a more long term and archival view of much of its
records.  For example, grade sheets are often kept for eternity. (Remember
the permanent record that they threatened you with in school?)

4) Institutions of Higher learning are generally more subject to external
examination, even if private, than a commercial entity.

I look forward to what others have to contribute on the question

Bernard Chester, CDIA+, ICP, EDP
Principal Consultant
IMERGE Consulting, Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA, 98040
Office: 206-230-9253; Mobile: 206-979-7389