From:
Mimi Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:55:12 -0700
Thank you for this thread!

Currently, I work with a company that professes to be "terribly 19th century".  It's not THAT bad, but it's salty: 15,000 boxes offsite that have never been inventoried properly, a retention schedule/taxonomy kick off in 2005 that fell flat, and Domino/Lotus Notes environs created in 2002 (but not updated since then) complicate the records situation.  The kicker is, in the Energy industry at least, there is a supposed four-year cycle beginning 2008 of baby-boomer retirements and a massive influx of teknomads.  This is proving true for this particular company because I've requested and received from Human Resources the hiring and departure statistics for the past five years.  We're definitely bringing an influx of young techies.  Now, with the economy in the state that it's in, I think we'll see a reduction in retirement numbers, but that's just my opinion.

ANYWAY, one of the tools I'm using to determine records locations is a Legal-approved survey of twenty questions that will be distributed globally (I'm using Quask because it's one of the few electronic tools that IT could provide to me for free).  Incidentally, one of the twenty questions is, what outside services (i.e. websites, downloadable programs) have you stored records created during the normal course of daily business? with an open text block.  I'm really curious to see what the responses will be, if any, because simultaneously I approached IT with some of the domain names Jesse mentioned in his post, asking the lads if they can search to determine if the domains have been accessed.  Of course IT called me back with, "Hey--why you wanna know?" but they were just as intrigued as I am.  They put a resource on it.  Meanwhile, Legal is TERRIBLY excited about this survey.  I am too.  I know it's going to reveal interesting stories.

My point is, I'm quite looking forward to having my mind blown.

Mimi.

Mimi Dionne, CA, CDIA+, CRM, PMP
281.386.9698
Blog: http://rimnant.blogspot.com