From:
Bridgette Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:26:39 -0400
Greetings all,

I, too, had a wonderful time at the conference. I had a difficult time choosing which sessions to attend simply because they were all so good.

I would like to give a hearty "Kudos!" to those who made the decision to offer the 'big books' of all the presentations. As one of the people who purchased them, I can say they were wonderfully helpful. I could focus on what the speaker was saying (as opposed to frantically scribbling down the info. on the screen) and add my notes to the printed presentations. Plus, the maneuverability of the bound books is a lot easier on a lap than trying to balance a 3-ring binder of print-outs made at the office before-hand. As an added benefit, I was able to review the next day's session presentations to decide which of the great offerings appeared to have an in-person component. I even had a fellow attendee ask where I got the books - she saw the helpfulness of them too! It is great that ARMA to acknowledges and provides options for people with different learning styles.

One thing surprised me about the Las Vegas Hilton (conference hotel) - the absence of mechanically-assisted doors in two main outside exits. I noticed this in the lobby of the hotel's plenary session conference room. A conference attendee in a scooter was trying to manually pull open a door to go outside. None of the doors had either a push-button or a sensor to mechanically open them. Later, I noticed the Hilton's front doors also lacked mechanical-assistance. I found this odd since most public buildings include this feature.

I would like to offer a suggestion for next year's conference. People wearing hearing aids have difficulties hearing in large spaces due to the way a hearing aid amplifies sound. From experience with other large national meetings (not ARMA), I have learned that almost everything said in a plenary is scripted. Perhaps the video technology used at the plenary sessions could be used to provide closed-captioning on one side screen.

I had a wonderful time at the conference. It was great to catch up with friends and meet many new colleagues! Learning about the challenges, solutions, and creative ideas of others is something I treasure when I come to ARMA meetings. As someone already said - the Program Committee did a wonderful job! There wasn't a session I attended where I didn't learn something I could apply to my job. :)

In regards to the trek from the hotel to the conference center, I am one of those freakish people who enjoyed the exercise & chance to stretch my legs. :)

Thanks, again, to all who worked so hard to put together the 2008 conference. A job well done!!
Best wishes to all,
Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly
Archivist & Records Manager
United Church of Christ
700 Prospect Avenue E.
Cleveland, OH  44115
p: 216-736-2106
toll free: 866-UCC-UCC4 (822-8224) x2106
f: 216-736-2203
http://www.ucc.org/aboutus/archives