From:
Teresa Werner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:03:54 -0800
I recently bought the contents of a storage unit at an auction and inside were 60+ boxes of MORTGAGE RECORDS from a mortgage company that went out of business.  These records included SS#s, Birth dates, and everything you need to complete a home loan including credit reports with credit card #s, etc.  Also, included in these boxes were all the HR records for this company that went out of business.  Oh, and a stack of blank company checks as well as company credit cards.

Of course the company financial stuff was no good, but to a crook, this buy would have been a gold mine.  I looked up the Nevada Revised Statutes for Mortgage records and it said they need to be retained only a short period (which was just about up), however it wasn't up when they actually went out of business.  The law stated that the Attorney General could 'take over' the records if they company was handling them inappropriately, but the law stated nothing about what to do with them if the company ceased.

I contacted, and worked with, the Attorney General's Office and the State's Mortgage Lending Division to get the records shredded on site.  Had any of the other bidders that day won the bid, I am sure they would have went to the dump at best.. who knows 'at worst'.

However, when I spoke the State offices, they actually said it was the 4th call they had gotten like mine in a year of 'found' mortgage company records.

Teresa Werner
RIM Consultant