From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:09:31 -0800
Within the functional areas that I direct at Motorola, we have a CIPP who has accountability for IT Data Privacy. The company's CPO is an attorney in the Law Department. My staff member is responsible for managing IT data privacy compliance and works very closely with the CPO.

We've had this very discussion recently. ARMA did a workshop on records management at the IAPP conference in Orlando this past fall. My staff member attended and is very interested in expanding her RIM knowledge. I have obliged her by asking her to manage our annual records compliance certification process and work on updating our records policies (I warned her to be careful what she wishes for). There are many synergies between RIM and data privacy, so it is a natural fit.

The CIPP is a fairly low level certification. If you have had exposure to data privacy principles, it is a fairly easy threshold to cross to get the certification. IAPP has published a nice Body of Knowledge called "Information Privacy" that amounts to the exam study guide. If you have an interest in this space, I would recommend adding it to your library and your professional tool kit. The CIPP is on my performance plan for 2009.

We see this as an overall part of information risk management at Motorola and it fits very nicely.
 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."