From:
Amy Harrelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:26:04 -0600
Hello List,
  I have a question for all of ya'll.  In some newer electronic document management systems, there is a capability to capture and move emails over in their native format and allow them to reside this way until lifecycle is complete.  In the past, I have been taught that an email should be converted to pdf or something like that so that the content can be preserved.  Now the argument seems to be if the email can be moved over, it allows the attachments to stay attachments, I really do not see this as the best method of keeping documents because if attachments are of value, they should be filed as should the email.  However, I ask you all for an opinion - what  are the pros in keeping email in the native format in an electronic document management system?  I also was under the impression that there were some legal stipulations that require an unalterable document, however if metadata and audit trails are captured is this enough?  Just curious as to what the list has to say.

Thanks as always,
  adh

Amy Harrelson
Lower Colorado River Authority